Friday, January 14, 2011

A Little About The Pallet Knife

experiment with abstract painting as one way to "loosen up". I find myself getting lost in the details of a conventional painting experience, using a lot of time and effort to get it right.  Getting the vision replicated concretely.

So, loosening up by working in a less formal contained manner is where I feel led creatively.  While working abstractly towards a less realistic representation I uncover an ever deeper sense of fun.  Since I usually have a subject or concept in mind I am challenged by the spontanaiety involved.  The goal is to let go of the hoped for result and see where the proccess takes me . 

Wielding a pallet knife allows me to play by using paint texture, canvas tooth, and chance to see what happens. Smearing a paint-loaded pallet knife on a surface forces me to anticipate what could happen next. Should I continue to spread with the flat side of the knife until it gives a dry brush effect as the knife runs out of paint? Can I use the knife edge to draw lines with paint or scrape lines in existing paint?  How about the possible change in appearance where two wet colors meet and mix?  Do I like how the new layers of paint settle in the texture already built up in older layers?  Is scraping away part of what I've already laid down needed?

The various effects are so interesting and fun.  I play like a child out of doors after too many winter days inside.  Then, I make myself stop before I overwork the piece.  The joyous part is that intuitively I know more clearly when this is happening.  At first I 'd ask continually for perspective, or step away often, or work on another project briefly as many times and ways as necessary.  That way I could come back refreshed and with a new eye.   Intuition and experience now help me trust the creative unfolding.  Either way I find I am pleased enough to finish or encouraged in some way to continue.  I believe that is because I am not doing this alone.   Connection and expression are joined during the adventure.   

No comments:

Post a Comment