Saturday, February 26, 2011

Doing Things Badly

The slogan or motto that pops into my conciousness is:  "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly".  So in the midst of this sense of doing things badly, I decide to take stock.  Not to decide the doing's worthiness but to attempt a reality check.  Comparing the actual to today's state of mind.  Creative blocks versus creative breakthroughs.

Listing statuses and number of painted pieces considered as concepts attempted but missing something during their execution:

*Left unfinished (4)
*Finished but not satisfyingly (1)
*Emotionally loaded in content and therefore unfinished (2)
(source example:  photo of a deceased family member )
*Designated as completed only because I stopped working on them (2)
*Still open to direction (4)
*Waiting on some (time passage) perspective (2)
*Needing practice on new techniques (1)
*Maturation required in my experience with painting this type of subject or style (1)
*Just plain uninspiring (3)

I experience relief that there aren't actually that many paintings in the categories listed above.  Further along now, I list:

*Works done for fun and/or practice (all)
*Paintings included in more than one category (4) 

It is important for me to identify trends or shared blocks amongst the pieces.  I am aware now that the items I do complete involve an experience of timeliness that is beyond my willfulness or obsessiveness.  I go back to a canvas more often than I abandon it to be left incomplete.  My interest now naturally lies in the education I receive during each creative experience rather than in the need to produce as in the past.  The process excites me instead of any projected result.

No comments:

Post a Comment