Saturday, February 12, 2011

Template

I find I want to explore the use of an abstract compositional tool I worked with during another painting.  The tool involves a variation on a theme involving free form shapes placed interestingly on a canvas.  The shapes are then outlined in pencil or charcoal.  After the forms are removed the outlined areas are filled in with paint.  

This time while I search through materials such as newspaper for inspiration, I find an old interoffice envelope.  I know upon sighting this envelope that it should be opened out or butterflied and then used as a template.  I move this template around on a canvas whose size is selected for it's corresponding scale.  The large envelope calls for a large canvas.  I want to work towards creating larger pieces.  When the design excites my eye, I draw around the envelope's now altered form.  I use  the holes in the envelope to paint semi-random dots, almost like using a stencil.  The colors used for the dots suggest the pallet for the color range of the painting as a whole.  

I brush on one layer of background color and then paint half of the form before I run out of time.  I wish to continue and lay down another section of color.  The sadness I feel at this moment is relished.  I want to paint more and yet I know that to stop now allows a better end result.  I could apply more in a hurried manner.  Then I risk more time correcting what appears rushed or forced.  Instead, I want to continue to tap into the source that allows creative spontaneity to flourish.  I choose to stop and to wait until spirit calls me again.       

No comments:

Post a Comment